Friday, March 27, 2015

Thinking Maps

I've been incorporating Thinking Maps in whole class, small group, and individual settings in my classroom this year.  Incorporating various maps in quick and purposeful times can be woven into any concept.  

Why I'm Doing It:

  • I've seen lightbulb moments when students have a chance to describe meanings to concepts in multiple ways.
  • They can be quick and purposeful
  • They can be solo or collaborative
  • They do not take away from my movement, instrumental, creation, vocal, and other learning areas in my classroom.  I have found that they enhance these activities by allowing students to dig deeper into their learning and understanding of concepts.  
Bubble maps were created for our grade level rhythmic units.
They are displayed throughout the room for reminders throughout the year

Bubble maps were created to enhance our harmony unit to describe I, IV, V, and vi chords.
Various colors were used for different classes.
This activity was done after various movement, reaction, and instrumental activities.
Brainstorming from the harmony unit bubble maps was inputted into
Tagxedo for one more creative way to display our ideas.  
Thinking Maps

Do you utilize various thinking maps in your classroom?  I'd love to hear your ideas at generalmusicclassroom@gmail.com or feel free to share below!


No comments:

Post a Comment